Saturday, November 26, 2005

Buy Nothing Day?

I'm just going to come out and say it: This is going to be one the toughest weeks leading up to my graduation. Apparently procrastination and laziness has repercussions that are, to say the least, unfavorable. Coming up this week, I have to turn in a 5-7 page paper that requires me to read a book I have yet to purchase. I have a group presentation on Tuesday, and by all accounts that should be the least of my worries. I have another paper to write; problem is, I don't know the topic nor the due date. For all I know, it could have already been due [that would suck big time, considering it's 35 percent of my grade]. I have these outstanding bills that I need to take care of.... man, I hate these type of weeks.

Anyways, this upcoming week and finals' week are the last two hurdles left before my ultimate goal: retirement!

This week is one of those that takes its toll on my Geo Prizm. In this week alone, I will work three 11-hour shifts of driving, make three roundrips to snellville, and one trip to atlanta for the UGA-GT game at Bobby Dodd stadium. I don't know how many miles it will end up being, but it should be interesting.

But the reason why im making this post has nothing to do with my shitty week or my endless driving. My beef today is with what many consider to be the 'biggest shopping day of the year'.

Okay, here's what im thinking. If people are shooting other people for money, and robbing 70-year old women for a new XBox 360 all because of a contrived sales bonanza, then maybe it's not such a hot idea. For the past couple of weeks, I have wanted to purchase a digital camera. This really stems from a conversation I had with one of my so-called peeps. As it turns out, I don't have any pictures of myself or anyone for that matter. So, umm... I was like 'hey, why don't I get me one of them thingies that shoots at people and then holds them still.... a camera!'. So, that was that. The next logical step was be to shop around online to get the best for the least. My roommate already has a camera and he seems to be into this sort of stuff, and he recommended a canon powershot A80. I was eyeing the A85 version, but either way, I was planning on getting it online.

Well, here's the thing, the day after thanksgiving was coming up, and there supposedly are cheaper cameras. So I waited. The night before, I go to one of my friends' house for this get-together he planned. I was planning on going home afterwards, get some sleep, and then head off to the stores to catch the earlybird specials. Well, that didn't happen. This freaking game of poker, man, what a bore! Don't get me wrong, I like poker, but the shit takes way too long. By the time I was eliminated [it was a choice between staying in or playing madden, so i just went all in so i could play] it was already 3 am. At 4:30 we headed out to get some cameras. well, it turns out that they ran out of all the cameras they were showcasing on their advertisements before the store technically even opened! The rest of the stuff weren't on sale, or were out of my price range. By the time we got out of there at 7:30, I ended up with nothing.

So, the moral of the story is this: day after thanksgiving should be spent either at the gym or on the stool, not freezing your balls off in the middle of the morning to save a few bucks. At least that's what i'll be doing from hereon out. In fact, from this point on, I will make it a point to never buy a thing throughout the entire day during this asinine shopping holiday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home