Saturday, February 19, 2005

Work better under pressure?

Essays...... I don't really like writing them, but I prefer them to sit-in exams. The problem that comes with writing papers are there isn't that pressurized environment that exists in a class setting (unless you start on it 2 hours before it is due). So, you can plan to write your paper in increments throughout the week before it's due, and hope that it everything works out well. That never works because the brunt of the paper will be completed the night before the due date, and the previous four nights i'll be playing online billiards while staring at a blank worksheet.

This plan has carried me through up to my junior year here in college. That's when the teachers started their crazy 15-page papers (often two professors would assign two papers of the same length due at the same day or week). So trying to write upwards of 30 pages in one night is no easy task, especially considering there is actually a question you must answer thoroughly within the filler paragraphs.

That is where this new method came about. It sounds kind of dumb, and it is dumb-- but it is effective. What I do is simple: using a stop-wacth (the one on your phone would suffice), allocate a certain amount of time for each page or each two pages, and try to meet those requirements. Also, allow 10 minutes in between pages for downtime, so you can focus on the task when the time is ticking. I find that it saves me a lot of wasted time looking at the screen.

I'm sure everyone has their own way of doing things, but I think these simple tasks accomplish alot for me and that is why I have designated them as 'genius'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home